Mussels with tomatoes & chilli
This spicy seafood recipe will warm you up this winter.
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 red or green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Small glass dry white wine
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 kg cleaned mussels
- Good handful basil leaves
- Put the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water, leave for 3 mins, then drain and peel. Quarter the tomatoes and scoop out and discard the seeds using a teaspoon. Roughly chop the tomato flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the garlic, shallot, and chilli, then gently fry for 2-3 mins until softened. Pour in the wine and add the tomatoes, paste, sugar, and seasoning (mussels are naturally salty so take care with the salt). Stir well and simmer for 2 mins.
- Tip in the mussels and give them a stir. Cover tightly and steam for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan halfway through, until the shells have opened.
- Discard any shells that remain shut, then divide the mussels between two bowls and add the basil leaves. Provide a large bowl for the empty shells.