Kale and Chickpea Grain Bowl
With Avocado Dressing
This veggie-heavy bowl is loaded with crunch and color, thanks to crispy carrots and chickpeas, fresh kale, and a vibrant avocado dressing. These bowls would also be excellent make-ahead lunches. Pack the avocado mixture separately, adding a little water to thin it as needed.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 (15-oz.) cans unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 4 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste), well stirred
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
Combine 1 cup boiling water and bulgur in a medium bowl. Let stand 10 minutes; drain well.
Pat chickpeas dry with paper towels. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over high. Add chickpeas and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally until chickpeas are browned, about 6 minutes. Add kale; cover and cook until kale is slightly wilted and carrots are tender about 2 minutes. Add chickpea mixture, shallots, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to bulgur; toss.
Process avocado, olive oil, juice, 1 tablespoon water, tahini, garlic, turmeric, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth. Divide bulgur mixture among 4 bowls; drizzle evenly with avocado mixture.