Add roasted pumpkin to your homemade falafels. Enjoy them in a salad, stuffed inside pita pocket, or on their own.
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 800g chickpeas, canned, rinsed and drained
- 750g pumpkin, roasted and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 whole fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 150g plain yoghurt
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Olive oil spray, 1 x 3 second sprays
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly spray a non-stick saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a plate.
- Process chickpeas in a food processor until a chunky puree forms. Mash pumpkin in a large bowl. Add onion, chickpeas, 2 garlic cloves, cumin, coriander, chilli, coriander and parsley. Shape mixture into 12 balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Bake falafels for 20-30 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, combine yoghurt, lemon juice and remaining garlic in a small bowl. Serve falafels with yoghurt dressing.
- Great served with mixed salad leaves.
- If you don’t have a food processor, using a fork or masher for the chickpeas works well.
- For the yogurt, you can use dairy free versions to keep this meal vegan or try making a dairy free version yourself – recipe here
- Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 40 min Serves: 4 Difficulty: Easy