This tasty Brazilian salad is inspired by arguably the country’s most famous dish, Feijoada. Black beans with rice is an authentic Brazilian combination, and it’s the perfect backdrop for lovely, lime drizzled wedges of smooth avocado. Bon apetite!
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 long red chilli
- 1 tin black beans
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp butter – use dairy free for vegan option
- 1 tbs olive oil
- To prepare the ingredients, rinse the basmati rice. Finely chop the coriander and red onion. Peel and crush the garlic. Finely slice the long red chilli, halve the cherry tomatoes, and slice the avocado. Drain and rinse the black beans, and juice the lime.
- Place the basmati rice and the water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the basmati rice is soft. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl and stir through the butter and half of the coriander. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat half of the olive oil in a medium frying pan. Add the red onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and half of the long red chilli and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the black beans and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to the basmati rice with the cherry tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- In a small bowl combine the lime juice, remaining coriander, remaining long red chilli and the remaining olive oil.
- To serve, divide the basmati rice and black bean salad between plates. Top with the avocado slices and drizzle with the salsa. Dig in.