This warm fruit crumble, with its crunchy topping, can be made with any seasonal fruit you have lying around, from berries to bananas.
Organic Breakfast Grains—a mix of buckwheat, barley, and oats—in the topping, no butter, and just thinly sliced or chopped fruit for the filling makes this crumble hearty and unusually invigorating. If you’re using a drier fruit like apples or bananas, mix 2 tbsp. of water into the topping before baking. P.S. It’s great with yogurt. And you can eat it for dessert, too.
SKILL LEVEL: EASY MAKES ABOUT 6 SERVINGS
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 120g breakfast grains
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil, melted, or 7 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 6 to 8 cups diced or thinly sliced seasonal fruit
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse Breakfast Grains, brown sugar, flour, almonds and salt a few times to combine. ( if no processor or blender finely dice with a sharp knife).
- Pour mixture into a medium mixing bowl and thoroughly mix in oil.
- Put diced fruit in a 13” x 9” glass baking dish.
- Top with crumble mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until fruit is bubbling at the edges and topping is crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.