SHRIMP AND VEGETABLES
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh fava beans (from about 1/2 pound pods) or frozen fava beans, thawed
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh peas (from about 1/2 pound pods) or frozen peas, thawed
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 pound bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound tasso or andouille sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 11/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, shells reserved
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco) plus more
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more
- 1 cup grits (not instant)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
SHRIMP AND VEGETABLES
- Step 1 – If using fresh fava beans, cook in a small saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a colander set in a bowl of ice water (do not cook frozen beans). Drain and peel; transfer to a small bowl.
- Step 2 – If using fresh peas, return water in saucepan to a boil. Add peas and cook until tender, about 3 minutes (do not cook frozen peas). Drain; transfer to colander in ice water. Drain peas; add to bowl with beans.
- Step 3 – Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and tasso and cook, stirring often, until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with beans and peas; set aside.
- Step 4 – Add 1 tablespoon oil to drippings in saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add reserved shrimp shells and cook, stirring and mashing shells occasionally, until shells are browned and softened, about 4 minutes. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add broth and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half, 15-20 minutes. Add orange and lemon juice, wine, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened and reduced by half, 20-25 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve into a medium saucepan; discard solids. Cover and keep sauce warm.
- Step 5 – Heat butter and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp to skillet and cook until golden brown and opaque in the centers, about 1 minute per side. Add reserved meat and vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Step 6 – While sauce is cooking, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons salt and slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until thick and creamy, 5-7 minutes. Add mascarpone and butter; stir to combine. Season with salt.
- Step 7 – Serve grits topped with shrimp mixture and warm sauce.
- Step 8 – DO AHEAD: Vegetables, bacon, tasso, and sauce can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Reheat before using.