- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400g can diced Italian tomatoes
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) fish stock
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 x 5cm strips lemon rind
- 1kg skinless fish fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 – Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onion softens slightly. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2 – Add the tomato, fish stock, saffron, bay leaf and lemon rind. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly.
- Step 3 – Add the fish and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until fish is just cooked.
- Step 4 – Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with basil and season with pepper. Serve immediately.