You have probably heard the team at Freedom Fitness recommending to stick to the Fast 800 diet. This restricts your daily calorie consumption to 800 calories per day. You may have been wondering how you can do this, here is a great day’s food under 800 calories.
BREAKFAST: Tumeric & Banana Smoothie
Calories per serving: 190
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
- 1 banana, chopped and frozen
- 200 ml carton coconut milk
- ½ tsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Place all ingredients in a powerful blender and blend on high speed for 30 seconds, or until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the smoothie into a long glass and drink immediately. If your blender isn’t powerful enough to blend ice, add the ice after blending.
Tip: Cut up and freeze the bananas before you add them to the smoothie! This increases the sweetness of the smoothie.
LUNCH: Chickpea Soup With Greens
Calories per serving: 222
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, chopped finely
- ½ garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk, sliced into 1/2cm or ¼ inch pieces
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced into batons
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp chilli flakes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 500ml water
- 30g spinach leaves
- 50g silverbeet (swiss chard), tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- Put a large pot on the stove and heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and then stir to sauté until the onion has softened.
- Sprinkle over the oregano, chilli, sea salt and pepper and mix through. Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and water and combine and heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover and cook for approx. 40 minutes. Keep an eye on the soup to ensure it doesn’t dry too much – add water if required.
- Next, add the spinach and silverbeet (swiss chard) and stir through for 2 – 3 minutes to wilt and heat. Divide and refrigerate half the soup in an air-tight container for leftovers. Serve the remainder in a warm bowl and season with pepper. Enjoy!
LEFTOVER TIP: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days. When ready to eat, re-heat the soup and serve seasoned with pepper.
DINNER: Mediterranean Baked Cod with Chickpea Salad
Calories per serving: 363
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 red bell peppers, trimmed, halved and seeded
- 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 5-oz boneless, skinless cod fillets
- CHICKPEA SALAD
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced, divided
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 10 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- In a small bowl, combine 10 minced olives, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp lemon juice, black pepper and salt. Set aside.
- On baking sheet, arrange bell peppers skin side down. Brush tops of peppers with 1/4 tsp oil, dividing evenly, then top each half with 1/2 cup spinach and 1 cod fillet. To olive mixture, add remaining 3/4 tsp oil and stir to combine; spread over cod, dividing evenly. Bake until cod flakes easily when tested with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Chickpea Salad: In a medium skillet, heat 2 tsp oil on medium-high. Add onion and 1 clove garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add chickpeas, 1/4 cup parsley, oregano, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tbsp water and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add 10 chopped olives and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Stir in feta, remaining 1/4 cup parsley, 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest and black pepper; remove from heat.
- Carefully lift bell pepper halves and cod from baking sheet and divide among serving plates. Serve with Chickpea Salad
TIP: This recipe serves 4