Simple and satisfying chickpea egg salad recipe prepared Mediterranean-style! Tons of texture and flavor.
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
For Egg Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers (or ½ seedless English cucumber), diced
- 2 to 3 green onions, trimmed and chopped (both white and green parts)
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup packed chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ½ cup packed chopped fresh mint leaves
- 5 large hard boiled eggs, sliced
- In a small bowl or mason jar, mix together the dressing ingredients. Set aside for now.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the salad ingredients except the eggs. Give the dressing a quick whisk and pour over the salad. Mix to combine. Add the sliced eggs, and mix gently again. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Add a sprinkle more sumac. Set aside a few minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.